Friday 20 October 2017

THE RING:

above is a picture exactly like my engagement 
ring which this poem is about:
 
THE RING:
Yesterday I went food shopping,
For much needed food without fail.
Because on Saturday I have heard
The South Coast has been forecast severe gales.
 
I will be staying indoors,
That there is no doubt.
But when I returned home from the shops
How I wanted to shout.
 
You see my engagement ring,
Was missing from my finger.
I didn't stop for a coffee,
I  for one minute didn't linger.
 
I traced my steps back to the shop,
Eyes glued to the ground.
Hoping to find my ring,
But no such luck I'll be bound.
 
Then I reached the shop,
I asked the cashier,
"Had my ring been handed in,?"
No such luck I fear.
 
I then returned home
Heartbroken I confess.
For on my finger ,
I would be engagement ring less.
 
At my front door,
My heart wanted "To Sing".
For there attached to my keys
Was my beloved ring.
 
How it got there,
Remains a mystery I can tell.
I know my fingers have got thinner,
But alls well that ends well.
 
Copyright Yvonne Lewis 20/10/2017,
 

12 comments:

  1. Losing something like that must be heartbreaking, especially when the person who gave it is no longer around, so I'm glad you found it again before it got really lost. I wonder how it got attached to your keys?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tigermouse for your comment, yes I let anxiety get the better of me for a while thinking of all the years I'd had my ring. How it got on my keyring I don't know.
      Enjoy your weekend.
      Yvonne.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Alex.
      Enjoy your weekend.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  3. came on back from the lost and now found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew. Very scary with such a good ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Joanne it was scary but all is well now.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  5. Mysterious things do happen, Yvonne, as do miracles. So happy your ring is safe and on your finger again. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Beverly, certainly mysterious indeed.

      Yvonne.

      Delete
  6. I was hoping for a happy ending, and you delivered one! Glad you found it, such items are sentimental treasures! A well written piece.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm too pleased there was a happy ending Andrew.
      Thanks for your comment.

      Yvonne.

      Delete